ANNUAL PROGRAM STATEMENT (APS)
GHANA POULTRY PROJECT
FUNDED BY USDA
Ghana Poultry Project (GPP) is seeking concept notes to implement capacity building activities from agribusiness organizations working in the poultry sector to increase productivity for Ghanaian poultry farmers, add value and increase efficiency in the Ghanaian poultry value chain, and improve quality of Ghanaian poultry products. By supporting these activities GPP anticipates to achieve the following objectives:
- Improve competitiveness of the Ghanaian poultry sector
- Expand local production of competitive broiler meat to supply to growing Ghanaian demands
- Improve the profitability of egg production
- Expand national and regional trade in poultry products and in sector-related inputs and service markets,
- Promote mutually beneficial (win-win) relationships between market actors in the poultry related sector.
- Build/expand poultry sector related organization’s capacity to a) provide services, support, information and networks; b) improve production, products, diversification, and market access.
Ghana Poultry Project’s (GPP) targeted Value Chain Enhancement Grant Fund is designed to increase efficiency along the poultry supply chain by leveraging private investment in Equipment, Technology, Value-added processing, and marketing by agribusiness enterprises.
The grant is intended to strengthen the Poultry sector by helping producers and poultry sector related organizations to address identified constraints and needs to increase efficiencies through provision of technical assistance, production and quality improvement, standards and certifications procedures; capacity building, among others. Specifically, grants will as well be awarded for innovations introduced in proposed concepts which will lead to improved poultry trade and increased storage capacities.
Target Project Locations
GPP target areas are Greater Accra, Ashanti, Eastern and Brong-Ahafo Regions. Agribusiness that apply should operate or have a link to the poultry sector in these areas
GPP anticipates awarding multiple grants to poultry industry support organizations, civil society organizations, producer organizations, private enterprises, and other producer and trade organizations committed to adopting innovative production, processing, and marketing strategies/practices, and supporting their professional membership to grow and diversify commercial activities.
Eligible applicants should submit a maximum of 3-page concept paper (only English written documents will be accepted) to GPP’s email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
If for any reason an applicant is unable to submit a soft copy of concept note to the email provided above, our regional offices in Accra, Kumasi or Brong-Ahafo may be contacted for hard copies (depending on applicant’s location).
The concept paper must be in the format provided in the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8KaIYNBdpvRdUZYeUdsMnVoSzA.
An instruction for the completion of concepts notes can also be found at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8KaIYNBdpvRWFpXUl9kdk44RzQ. Hard copies of concept note format and instruction may be obtained from our regional offices.
For a concept to be successful and qualify for further considerations, it should clearly address at least one or more of the following areas of concern in the poultry industry:
- Embedded management services such as market information, extension, and provisions for securing pre-financing inputs;
- Investments that enable improvements in establishing quality control mechanisms and ensuring conformity to standards in end markets, including strategic upgrading of testing and diagnostic laboratory services;
- Support for investments in infrastructure to improve the capacity of production businesses to expand existing commercial contracts for the delivery of goods and services, including storage facilities, feed mills, poultry housing, etc. for vertically integrated poultry production Agribusinesses.
A list of possible activities eligible for funding can be found but not limited to those provided on the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8KaIYNBdpvRWWg5NGx0enA5S3c
Concept notes will be reviewed in terms of responsiveness to the APS, and the criteria below:
- Must be commercial and have sustainable impact in the poultry sector;
- Encourages the uptake of technology and innovations to address specific challenges in Ghana’s Poultry sector;
- Demonstrates ability to show tangible and verifiable results/outcomes;
- Expands the scale, impact, or improves efficiency of poultry supply chain in Ghana, and
- Demonstrate how the proposed work will contribute to GPP’s objectives especially.
Please note that GPP will not award grant to firms not registered to undertake poultry production/poultry related business activities in Ghana
GPP will notify and invite grantees/organizations with acceptable concept notes to submit full grant applications. The full grant application will ask for more detailed information than that of the concept notes. GPP staff will be available to facilitate the application process by offering clarifications and guidance to applicants upon request.
The issuance of Request for Concept notes does not commit ACDI/VOCA to make an award to any prospective grantee who shall respond to this solicitation. Prospective grantees will not be reimbursed for costs incurred in the preparation and submission of an application. ACDI/VOCA reserves the right to reject any and all applications, or to make changes to the solicitation document without further discussion or negotiations. But any such change will be communicated to potential grantees.
- The Grants Committee will undertake a review and evaluation of the full application to determine further eligibility to receive a grant agreement;
- The review will include financial management capability, property and procurement standards, environmental impact and gender aspects of an organization among other criteria;
- Following the completion of all reviews, due diligence will be conducted after which successful applications will be sent to the Awards Management Services (AMS) department of ACDI/VOCA for the grant approval;
- All applications, whether successful or not successful, will receive written or web-based confirmation of the result from the GPP Grants Team;
- Applications that are unsuccessful may be modified by the applicant based on GPP’s feedback and resubmitted;
- Grantees who are successful will be invited for negotiations, sign a Grant Agreement and certifications with the GPP program in order to receive the award.
All programs related to grants must have quantifiable goals and results that can be measured and reported on. Specific targets for project activities must be indicated in the grant application. Failure to reach project targets may result in the cancellation of the grant award.
Anticipated grants will ranges from GHȻ16,000 to GHȻ85,000. Grant above GHȻ85,000 but less than GHȻ210,000 will be given a special consideration only if required for success on a large scale. Further, the specific grant instrument will be determined during the negotiation process.
The period of performance for each Grant Agreement shall be within a maximum of one year after signing. Under no circumstances will any Grant Agreement be approved to operate past Tuesday, June 30, 2020 (3 months before GPP’s closure).
CONCEPT NOTE SUBMISSION DEADLINE
Concept notes received no later than 5:00 p.m. local time on Tuesday March 7, 2017 will be included in the first batch of applications for review. After the first batch GPP will review concept notes on a rolling base and reserves the right to request additional concept notes if there are sufficient funds available.
This APS may be amended either to establish subsequent deadlines for additional batches of applications or to indicate that an award(s) has/have been made and that no further funding is available.
The electronic copies of the APS and the templates for the application are found below and can be downloaded.
The following certifications will be completed before GPP will grant an award to a prospective grantee:
- Certification Regarding Lobbying
- Certification Regarding Terrorist Financing, Implementing Executive Order 13224
- Prohibition on Assistance to Drug Traffickers for Covered Countries and Individuals
For further information and questions please contact the following persons:
- Grants Specialist, GPP
- The Operations Director, GPP
Email: email@example.com or
For hard copy request of the APS documents please contact
Regional Office Contacts
- Accra Office
Mrs. Mercy Tuffour
Greater Accra Regional Coordinator
- Kumasi Office
Miss. Barbara Mary Mingle
Ashanti Regional Coordinator
- Sunyani Office
Miss. Eyram Kukubor
Brong-Ahafo Regional Coordinator
Download the Application Documents below:
Further updates, call the Farmer Helpline Service: 0500 000 996
Email us: Editor@agricinghana.com