Project: Market-Oriented Agricultural Program (MOAP)
Reports to: Deputy Head of MOAP NW and Advisor M&E
Assignment Period: Contract ends 31.12.2020 subject to renewal
Location: Wa (Upper West Region)
The Market-Oriented Agriculture Program (MOAP) is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) in thirty-four (34) districts distributed among 8 regions (Bono, Bono East, Central, Eastern, North East, Savannah, upper West, Volta. The program is mainly supporting the following value chains: cashew, citrus, groundnuts, mango, pineapple, rice, sorghum, soya and vegetables, with the objective to improve the quality of agricultural produce and to strengthen the competitiveness of agro-based value chains. It is guided by a multi- level and multi-stakeholder approach, supporting various actors along the selected value chains and works closely together with the public sector e.g. MLGRD and MoTI, subordinate MoFA agencies such as the Plant Protection and Regulatory Service Directorate (PPRSD) as well as a whole range of private sector institutions and actors. In addition, MOAP is closely working with the EU co-financed program REACH, related to community-capacity building and other GIZ programs such as Governance for Inclusive Development.
The advisor will work under Output B (Support to decentralized structures) in the technical team responsible for operation in eleven districts in Upper West, two districts in Savannah and Assemblies and PPRSD, with capacity building, as well as planning. Close interaction with programs such as REACH, Governance for Inclusive Development is mandatory.
Support to decentralised structures
· Organize capacity development measures for partners at district level (ToT)
· Support community entry, mobilisation, follow-up and coaching of trained partners
· Ensure the documentation and monitoring of all conducted activities
· Continuous exchange and planning of activities with the programs REACH and Governance for Inclusive Development and also with the Canadian program (MAG)
· Support stakeholders in the maintenance and management of agriculture infrastructure
· Support the Regional and district departments of Agriculture and PPPRS to plan and carry out regulatory inspections on seed quality, quarantine, pesticides and fertiliser.
· Support writing of monthly and annual reports of the project.
· Strengthens the relations between MOAP, project partners and consultants
· Represent the interest of the GIZ assisted measure and always act on its behalf
· Perform other duties and tasks as required
Support to the private-sector interventions and output C and E
· Build the Government Flagship Programs (PFJ, RFJ, PERD, One-District, One-Factory), supporting public /private partnerships in crop bulking, processing and marketing
· Promote public/private partnerships in maintaining and prioritising development of new productive infrastructure, transportation, storage and processing capacity
· Facilitate complementarity between extension and farmer training activities of MOAP and the Government Extension Services based on the deployment of capacitated Agricultural Extension Agents (AEAs)
· Monitor the inputs support to farmers, the regulation of inputs supply and facilitating complementarity between inputs supply to farmers through MOAP and MoFA
· Ensure the linkage and information flow between the Monitoring and Evaluation department of MoFA, the MOAP Program M&E and MoFA/MOAP reporting
· Advise Government institutions on measures that, for the various targeted value chains, could be taken to support expansion of the sector and access to markets
· Harmonise the Government and private sector approaches to niche sector and quality management system certification in the agriculture sector
· MSc. /MA. in social sciences, Development Studies, Agriculture or another related field.
· At least three (3) years professional experience in comparable position
· Good understanding of development programs (project cycle management), knowledge of GIZ processes and standard will be an advantage
· Strong experience in agricultural value chain development and effective collaboration with the private and public sector
· Experience with result- based monitoring and report writing with strong quantitative and analytical skills with the ability to manage your own time and responsibilities independently
· Experience in project communication and the development of communication material
· Experience with working in a multi-cultural environment, with good interpersonal relationship and negotiation skills with strong managerial and organizational competence
· Good working knowledge of the Upper West and Savannah Regions
· Very good working knowledge of ICTs and computer applications (Microsoft office package, data collection and analysis tools)
· Willingness to travel frequently, especially within the Upper West Region
· Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and at least one local language of Upper West
· Good knowledge (reading and writing) of the German language is an asset
Competitive GIZ salary structure, SSNIT, Health insurance, as well as 13th Month salary and Annual Bonus
Interested and suitable applicants are to forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae and a one page cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org under the job code: 2019/MOAP/10/01
Closing date: 12.11.2019
Job News Source: Agricinghana Media| Email: Editor@agricinghana.com