Company: Ministry of Food & Agriculture (MoFA)
Category: Project Development / Management
Posted: November 16, 2015
Expires: November 24, 2015
Location: Kumasi,Tamale and Dodowa
Industry: Public Sector
Education: First Degree
Experience: 7 years
• Ghana Agricultural Sector Investment Programme (GASIP) intends to recruit 3 qualified Zonal Value Chain Specialist (VCSs) in order to ensure the smooth implementation of planned activities at the zonal level within programme component 1 “Development of Value Chains”.
• They will have the responsibility to develop support programmes and to strengthen chosen value chains and to oversee the execution of support to value chains from technical service providers.
• VCSs will be based in the three Zonal Programme Offices (ZPOs) in Kumasi, Tamale and Dodowa.
• They shall report to the Value Chain Manager and work under the overall guidance of the National Programme Coordinator. They will coordinate their work with the Zonal Coordinators and closely collaborate with the District Agricultural Development Units and will support the Value Chain Committees.
• Further, they will directly coordinate and supervise the consultants engaged at Zonal Level in support to value chain actors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct analyses and surveys on value chain development as required.
• Contribute to the development of the one-year and three-year work plans and budget (AWPBs).
• Jointly analyse, discuss, validate and locally adapt Value Link approach for promoting Value Chains, so that a shared approach is adopted for a” promising Vcs.
• Facilitate viable linkages among smallholder farmers, larger businesses, service providers, private financiers and implementing partners aiming at achieving a networking attitude towards the harmonisation of approaches, tools and methodology of VC development.
• Supervise the training events related to the promotion of value chain.
• Facilitate the work of VCCs and VCFs in clarifying program strategies and potential impact on selected value chains; provide relevant information and advice. ”
• Proactively contribute to the identification of candidate value chains and the preparation and launching of call for Expressions of Interest, which represent the core of GASIP business at the zonal level.
• Contribute to VC research, including research design, statistical sampling, perfecting research tools, oversight of data collection, consolidation and analysis of research data,reporting, etc.
• Support the Development of Terms of Reference and Tender Specifications for technical consultants for studies on VC impact potentials.
• Coordinate and oversee the implementation of ordered studies, including technical and financial analysis, ensuring that GASIP tools and strategies are effectively applied into proposed activities and are compliant with GASIP’s pro-poor approach.
• Contribute to the preparation of programme reports as planned by the PCU
• Undertake any other responsibility that will ensure smooth and effective implementation of the programme.
• Performance targets, based on the above activities and responsibilities, will be jointly agreed with the VCM and the NPC at the time of signing the contract, according to implementation work plans. Performance targets will be jointly reviewed, assessed and updated on a regular basis.
• However, performance based management approach adopted by the VCM is not necessarily limited to the performance targets resulting from the above job descriptions.
• The contracts envisage a 4-month probationary period.
Renumeration: Competitive salaries are envisaged for the post
Location: Selected candidates will be posted in one of the Zonal offices located in Kumasi, Tamale or Dodowa
The entire value chain promotion process under GASIP will be market/demand driven, with the final aim to contribute to a sustained pro-poor growth. Qualification and experience of candidates will be assessed against their capacity to contribute to this end.
• Degree in Business Administration, Agriculture, Project Management, Agricultural Economics or other academic background relevant to the tasks to be carried out
• At least 7 years practical experience in developing and analysing business plans, conducting market surveys, developing baseline studies and business financial analysis within the context of the private sector.
• Experience in developing and foster partnerships among agriculture commodity chains actors.
• Practical experience in managing private businesses in the agricultural sector
• Experience in implementing result based M&E methods and approaches
• Practical working experience with Government of Ghana, donor-funded projects aiming at upgrading agricultural value chains through enhanced private sector engagement
• Practical experience in agricultural policy development and implementation
• Previous experience in implementing Value Link methodological approach for Value Chains promotion
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including MS Project, database and presentation software, including statistic SW to conduct data analysis and familiarity with analysis of business performance reporting-balance sheet, income statement, cash flow report, etc.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem solving capacity in dealing with all aspect related agricultural commodity chains
• Ability to produce high-quality reports and project briefs.
• Fluency in oral and written English and good communication skills.
• Ability to promote and ensure teamwork
How To Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should send application letters (either Soft or Hard) with copies of curriculum vitae, certificates and other relevant documentation to the email or physical addresses below:
The Office of the Value Chain Manager
Ghana Agricultural Sector Investment Programme (GASIP) – MoFA
In the premises of the Government Secretarial School, opposite Aquinas Senior High
School, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana
• Applications will be scrutinized by and ad-hoc internal recruitment panel.
• Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit samples of previous works done relevant to the assignment and will undergo a practical and oral test to confirm what they state in their application.
• Written examination will determine their proficiency in the use of databases and spreadsheets as well as their capacity to produce quality briefs dealing with GASIP.
• For this purpose, shortlisted candidates will be provided with some project documents in advance.
• Closing Date: Close of day, 24th December, 2015
• Only shortlisted candidates will receive response.
Qualified female professionals are strongly encouraged to apply.