Line Management: Reports to the Financial Manager (FM)
Direct Report: Supervises the Finance Assistant
• Under the direct supervision of the Financial Manager; specific duties include:
• Assist the Financial Manager in the implementation of a sound financial management system.
• Prepare quarterly, half-yearly and annual consolidated statements of Programme accounts as an integral part of the Management Information system for submission to the FM
• Ensure that the PCU Bank Accounts have been maintained in accordance with the provisions of the loan agreement LTB and Finance and Administration Manual (FAM)
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliations of all Bank accounts;
• Prepare transaction vouchers, and input all transactions into the PCU accounting system before submission to the Financial Manager for approval;
• Process all payments, ensuring that PCU procedures are strictly adhered to;
• Maintain an Advance Payments Register and monitor advances settlement
• Process monthly payroll, payment of salaries to staff and project contributions;
• Manage and report on the use of Petty Cash in accordance with the approved procedures;
• Assist the Financial Manager in the preparation of withdrawal applications;
• Prepare and submit SOE to the Financial Manager (FM) and follow up to ensure that the Programme does not encounter liquidity challenges at the PCU
• Prepare cash flow forecasts as required;
• Monitor financial returns from Implementing Partners, including periodic visits to their offices;
• Assist in the preparation and monitoring of annual operational budgets
• Functional supervision and training of Accounts Assistant at the PCU.
• Maintenance of a well organised and up-to-date filing system for accounting and financial records as well as an fixed asset tagging system;
• Perform physical inventory of project assets each year;
• Assist the Financial Manager in the review of the Finance and Administration manual.
• Support the conduct of internal audit missions by the MoFA Internal Audit unit on the basis of agreed AWPB
• Provide assistance to the external auditors as required;
• Support in the smooth implementation of the annual external audit of programme funds, under TOR agreed by IFAD and in accordance with IFAD’s audit guidelines, for timely submission to IFAD in accordance with provisions of the LTB
• Undertake any other responsibility that will ensure smooth and effective implementation of the Programme
Qualification and Experience
• A recognized degree in accounting, pursuing a professional accounting qualification (part Qualified) -(essential);
• Advance degree in finance, accounting, or related subject -(added advantage);
• Experience in setting up and maintaining a computerized accounting system -(essential);
• At least 5 years of practical working experience in financial management and accounting of donor-funded projects.-(essential);
• Committed to meeting deadlines, and have the willingness to work extra hours and sometimes on weekends or when required;
• Practical working experience with Government of Ghana, IFAD-financed projects or donor-funded projects, and auditing experience (essential);
• Experience in interpreting financial management reports, analysing variations to plans and determining remedial actions required;
• Excellent technical and conceptual knowledge about financial management and grasp of financial principles and practices;
• Strong computer skills especially in Microsoft office application software and use of computerized accounting systems, such as Sun system, Pastel or SCALA software would constitute added advantage;
• Report writing and presentation skills;
• Confidence and good working relationships with finance and non-finance colleagues within Programme, and implementing partners;
• Fluency in written and oral English is essential.
Remuneration: Competitive salary
Qualified and interested applicants should send application letters with copies of curriculum vitae, certificates and other relevant documentation to:
The National Programme Coordinator
Ghana Agricultural Sector Investment Programme
Ministry of Food and Agriculture, P. O. Box M.37, Accra, Ghana
Location: MOFA Projects Block, Procurement Office, 3rd Floor, in the premises of the Government Secretarial School, Cantonments, Accra.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS SHALL BE ON OR BEFORE 15:00 HOURS GMT (i.e 3.00PM LOCAL TIME) ON 2ND MAY, 2017.
Applicants are to include direct contacts (reliable telephone, fax numbers and email address) in their applications in order to facilitate early and easy contact. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Candidates can send both soft and hard copies.
Wish to have your Agricultural content published? Contact us:
Call the Farmer Helpline: 0500000996